Friday, December 6, 2013

Christmas Road Trip - Day 1

We are safely settled in at Country Inns & Suites in Ft. Jackson, South Carolina.  I attended Boot Camp here 12 years ago.

I drove us out of the crazy rain storm in northern Virginia as we headed south, but Sam did most of the driving today, for which I am very grateful.  I haven't been this sick in years.  The last two days my entire body has been throbbing.  I had no appetite most of the day today.  It got so bad lying down in the back of the car that I asked Sam to stop at a CVS pharmacy.  Now I have a couple of pain killers running through my body, along with some Sudafed, and I'm feeling a bit better.  It's time for a hot bath!

Here are some of the responses we received when we asked people what they know about the Mormons today:

Katie - Exxon gas station - Richmond, VA:  She thought for 20 seconds and then said, "Absolutely nothing."

Girl at the Citgo gas station in North Carolina: "Nothing."

Cherry - Exxon gas station - Fayetteville, NC: "LDS"
Heather - Exxon gas station - Fayetteville, NC: "I don't really know anything.  Tell me something about them."

Brandon - our waiter at Ruby Tuesday - Lumberton, NC: "The Book of Mormon is the book after the Bible."

Bianca - Country Inns & Suites - Ft. Jackson, SC: "They ride bikes."  "LDS."  [Talking to her fellow co-worker - Aspen - behind the counter] "Have you seen their church? The marble one." [She was referring to the temple, which is located a few miles away from here.]

Aspen - Country Inns & Suites - Ft. Jackson, SC: "They have a Book of Mormon."  "You want my honest opinion?  I think they have been led astray."

We had a great time chatting with Bianca and Aspen.  Two funny girls.  By the way, Jarem, on some of these pass-along cards I write your name next to the www.mormon.org web address, and then I tell people to look up your video. 

4 comments:

  1. Love the comments you are getting. What a work we have to do helping people at least be acquainted with us. Too many know nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! I wish you guys could video tape the responses you're getting. That would be awesomer. ;D (Be sure to tell peeps that Mormons are super edumacated, too.) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about video-taping them, but I'm sure a lot of people would be wary about having some random dude video-tape them.

      Delete