Thursday, December 19, 2013

Land of Enchantment

I don't think I would use the word "enchanting" to describe much of New Mexico, but there are most certainly some enchanting places and people there.

 Our first stop after leaving Texas.  This sign is approximately seven miles away from the actual caverns.
 Look at me!  I'm a Ranger!
 Sam too!
 Descending into the depths of the earth
 My camera cannot possibly convey the awesomeness that are the Carlsbad Caverns.  Sam and I walked around the caverns for three hours……..and now, a day later, our glutei maximi (the internet tells me that is the plural of gluteus maximus) are protesting.

 Behold, the awesomeness.
 Back in the daylight, I asked an Asian couple if they would take our picture next to the Carlsbad Caverns sign (the one right on top of the caverns).  However, because the sun was shining directly into our faces, I suggested to Sam that we simply close our eyes for the photo in order to avoid squinting.
 This was our first attempt...
 …and this was the second attempt.  Immediately after snapping the photo, the Asian woman said (with that fun Asian accent), "Okaaay, you can open your eyes now."
 After turning our legs into jelly walking through the caverns, we went to visit the Bell family in Weed, New Mexico.  Last night we boosted the population of Weed to 22 (or 23 if we're counting the baby).  The main reason I like this picture is because it appears that Sam is about to be struck my lightning.
 And what hosts they were!  Good food and great conversation.  Twas a short visit, but a very nice one.
 They showed us around the ranch...
 …and I finally got to meet Donkey!


 Don't bite me, Donkey!  He (she?) was trying to get the snack in my hand.
 From Weed we drove north to Albuquerque to visit the temple.

 Then we drove straight over to the Snowflake temple.
 We stopped in Flagstaff for the night because it's snowing pretty hard.  Can you believe it?!  After two weeks of travel during the month of December, this is our first encounter with serious weather.  The Lord has blessed us.
Before retiring for the night I received another pre-Christmas gift from my amazing wife.


One response to our question about Mormons:

Elizabeth - Park Ranger at Carlsbad Caverns: "They don't drink coffee."

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I recognize that last picture! ;)

    Also, that donkey is a very well-groomed donkey. I've never seen such a beautiful donkey before! Usually they are grimey and decrepit looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved going through your blog, What a great trip...routed through 18 states and 16 temples. Only meticulous planning could make this happen.
    2 0 1 4 - you will have blessing galore! So happy for you beginning your family.
    Blessings - Con amor, Los Petersen - Walt y Eileen - San Salvador

    ReplyDelete